Tuesday 15 July 2014

A Magpie's Lament

A Magpie’s Lament

Somehow I got short-changed
Somehow I was maltreated
When music was distributed
I feel that I was cheated.

The chickadee is just a little bird
Its coat is drab and grey
But it sings a lilting cheery song
As it flits about all day.

The robin only knows one song
But it's music to the ears
It’s a harbinger of happy times
Each time that spring appears

The bluebird has a neat blue coat
And a song that all admire
It sends the hearts of all who hear
To heights their souls aspire.

The whippoorwill just sings at night
Still it fails to aggravate
The folks don’t seem to mind at all
Cause its call they so appreciate

Even crows do not irritate
The folks the way I do
And jays don’t really sing, I know
And pigeons only coo.

But I’m dressed for the party
And I’m sure I sound conceited
But my tuxedo coat does not impress
Cause my squawk  has me defeated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment