Saturday 4 January 2014

Titles

Redundancy of Titles

I was reading some material on the net today that really hit home with me. It was a bunch or “writers” responding to an editor who was trying to encourage them to write by infusing them with confidence in themselves. The gist of the message was that  you need to believe yourself “a writer” in order to become one. Most of the responders to the message had problems with calling themselves “WRITERS”.

Before I published, I, too, was reluctant to call myself a “writer”.  I feared being ridiculed because I felt it was too presumptuous of me. I have since published my books and I don’t know if that is the reason or if I am just now starting to see straight.  When asked what I do, I now can confidently say “I am a writer”. I don’t view it as some prestigious title or award. I am simply answering the query about what I do.  I write – consequently – I am a writer! No big deal. You lay bricks – you are a bricklayer. What is this thing about  titles??? Why are we so hung up about “titles” all the time? We do what we do – consequently we carry the label.  No biggie! Why do we intimidate ourselves by attaching so much importance to things that really do not matter at all in the grand scheme of things?


When I started writing, I did not know if I would publish, but my motto was “even if I never publish, at least I will have had a whole lot of fun trying!" And I did have fun! And it had absolutely nothing to do with pronouncing myself a “writer!” Let’s lighten up folks.  We’re all just people who do things--- and liking to do what we do is just icing on the cake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment